A MODERN TOWN IN LIBERTY STYLE
Set in the heart of Transylvania, Cluj Napoca boasts a major architectural heritage and most of the historical buildings are in Liberty style.Cluj Napoca is the second university pole in the country and has an ever growing number of European and non European students coming to its Universities that provide a high level of instruction in all of the three historical languages of Transilvania (Romanian, German and Hungarian) but also in English and French.Cluj Napoca is also a very important industrial pole with several European company plants.
A BIT OF HISTORY
Cluj-Napoca was founded more than 2000 years ago and became famous as the "Treasure Town" because of the wealth it enjoyed during medieval times. Today, the town boasts a great number of archaeological sites, churches, cathedrals and monuments and has remained one of the most important towns in Transylvania, in terms of economy, academics and culture. Cluj-Napoca is in constant evolution but is capable of maintaining the balance between old and new, between the modern high-tech buildings and the ancient architectural beauties and the narrow old pavedstreets.
- The Church of St Michael, one of the most imposing gothic monuments in Transylvania
- The Bastionul Croitorilor one fo the few monuments still intact in the centre of Cluj
- The "Lucian Blaga" National Theatre, 928 seats, in neo-baroque style, hosting the Romenian National Opera.
- Banffy Palace, National Art Museum hosting a collection of more than 13.000 pieces: paintings, scuptures and decorative graphics.
- The Botanical Garden "Alexandru Borza" including more than 10.000 species of plants coming from the five continents.
- Ethnografic National Park with various indoor and outdoor sections on handicraft, home, ceramics, fabrics, garments and costumes.
- The Salina Turda saltmine. Inside, bowling, mini golf, training fields and a small lake where to practice horse-riding and rent boats.
- The Turda Gorge, 2900 meters, the result of the calcareous rocks erosion. The ideal place for those who love nature and climbing.
- The Fantanele-Belis lake, the largest artificial lake in the valley. In summertime, when the water level lowers, the village that was submerged appears to the suface, especially the church.
FUN DAY AND NIGHT
- The Cluj Arena Stadium, 30.000 seats.
- Stadium CFR, 23.500 seats
- Central Park "Simon Barnutiu" for more that 180 years, a green oasis of tranquillity with trees and a fountain
- Chios Lake, horse riding, bicycle and boat rental
- "Julius Hatieganu" training park also with olympic swimming pool.
- Diesel Club the best known night club in town. Music and parties
- Club Obsession ithe largest music club in Transylvania
- Vertigo Club, original atmosphere and theme parties
- My Way Club, imore intimate, soft music
- Euphoria Music Hall quality live music.
Reception is at your disposal to provide you with information on restaurants, nightclubs, shopping centres and various excursions.